Sunday, March 27, 2011

distelfink

I got an email notification that the March sock club kits shipped...so it seemed like a good time to start this year's January socks.

distelfink

For this kit they sent out two smallish skeins in different colorways, and both patterns involve stranded colorwork. Compared to other techniques I feel I'm a little behind on colorwork. I've only done a few colorwork projects and one of them is a Dale of Norway vest that's been stuffed in the cedar chest for years because I lost the pattern, oops.

distelfink

I re-charted the cuff to read RSC 2011, since originally it said "bff bff bff bff" which is an acronym I don't think I've ever used. The rest of the leg will have a sort of floral leafy motif, but I'm not far enough along to quite see it yet. I find this project not so relaxing as it takes a lot of concentration for me to follow the chart. (I managed a whole 3 rounds while watching "Whip It" yesterday!) I might have to start something else in tandem, preferably monotone with a stitch pattern that you can just memorize and go.

What's that? I just bought 3 skeins of madelinetosh pashmina for 40% off at my LYS's spring sale? What a coincidence!

madelinetosh

I'm pretty sure this wants to be a shawl. Hmm. Tempting.

3 comments:

Linda said...

They look interesting socks and that yarn is perfect for a shawl!

Kitty said...

I love the color work! It gets easier as you go along. How do you hold your yarn? I tried a bunch of different ways, but what works for me is to hold the dominant yarn over my index finger, and the other yarn over my middle finger. That way, a turn of the hand allows me to choose which yarn I want for that stitch. I'm a righty, though, so I'm not sure if it would work with the left hand. Hmmmm...

Enough rambling out of me! Love the socks!

Kate said...

@kate, I hold the yarn in a kind of random bastardized way...I'm a thrower, which I'm lead to understand is not optimal for colorwork. I end up having to shuffle the skeins around a lot!